Friday, April 12, 2019

KSA Spotlight: Erin Pedersen

1. How did you come to work for the KSA?
I studied at KPU Langley campus in the Environmental Protection Technology program. As the program was about to finish, my instructor Paul Richard shared that the KSA was hiring for the position of Sustainability Coordinator. I was looking for a role where I could contribute to positive environmental and social change, so here I am!

Sediment sampling at KPU Langley campus with EPT

2. What is your position and can you provide a brief summary of what you do? 

I’m the Sustainability Coordinator. My job is to research and implement policies, events and initiatives to increase environmental awareness and reduce negative environmental impacts within the organization and the student body. I also advocate for increased environmental sustainability at KPU, and support student sustainability initiatives. Some of the programs I work on are the Kwantlen St. Market, Westerman Campus Garden, ecoDAYS Sustainability Fair, Clothing+ donation bins, and more.

3. What is your favourite thing about working here?
There’s a lot of variety in this job, and a great deal of freedom to experiment with new ideas and initiatives. Much of “business as usual” is inherently unsustainable, so I’m excited to work with an organization of young people who are willing to break norms and have fun while doing it.

4. Best activity to do on the weekend?
Hike. Climb. Ski. Mountains, Gandalf, mountains!


5. What is something that makes you unique?
Before going back to school, I worked as a boat driver and tour guide in Gwaii Haanas National Park in Haida Gwaii.


6. What is your favourite food?
Avocado toast. The more expensive, the better.

7. What is one of your best memories at the KSA? 
Soon after being hired, I was able to travel to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with my coworker Michelle and two student delegates to attend the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Conference. It was a great opportunity to meet people from around North America working to make higher education more environmentally and socially sustainable.

Helping out at our ecoDAYS screening of KDocs Presents: The True Cost in March
- Erin (Sustainable KSA)

No comments:

Post a Comment