Tuesday, March 27, 2018

KSA Spotlight: Murdoch de Mooy

There are some pretty amazing people that work to support students at the KSA. Every month we'll feature a staff member (and occasionally Council member) so you can actually put a face to the name/event/project. This month, I invite you to meet Council Member Murdoch!

Here are a few things about Murdoch...

How did you come to get involved/run for the KSA council?
I more or less stumbled into it. I was looking for some way to learn more about the school and kinda be more involved and someone that was on the KSA Council recommended I try out a committee. Tried it, loved it, and now I've been here for 2 years already.


What is your current position and can you provide a brief summary of what you do?
My current position is Arts Representative. It's my job to bring the Arts student mindset to council. What it really works out into is, I'm supposed to see things I think would be good for students, and to try and figure out how to make them happen.

What is your favourite thing about working as a councillor with the KSA?
My favourite thing, I know so much more about the University, Non-Profit Societies, and basically everything than I ever did in my many years just attending a university before. You can get exactly what you work for in the KSA, and if you want experiences, you'll get them in spades.

Best activity to do on the weekend?
Sleep! Normally my weekends are filled with work, or homework, but on the super special days I get to sleep in, play some games, and maybe work on some animation work.


What is something that makes you unique?
I'm a super geek and nerd for technical details. I'm one of those lame people that pours over stats and details in games that I play and try to figure out the best way to do something. I'm not necessarily great at it, but it is definitely a unique person to find an afternoon of that kinda stuff fun lol.

What is your favourite food?
Sushi. Once a month I go to a new sushi restaurant. Some places are horrible, but every so often you find some amazing gems.


What is one of your best memories at the KSA?
I think my best memory was at the start of my first term on council. I had just met new great new people on council that I thought were amazing. Two of us were laying on the grass outside that first night and just talking about all the small and big projects we wanted to work on. Laying there discussing all the potentials will be my best memory.

Don't get me wrong, there were lots of good, and a couple bad, but it was a great experience. Projects take a long time to actually come into affect, and I may not even see one of my favourite proposals come into affect during my term. But if you keep going, and keep marching forward, you can get some of your stuff you want, and hopefully it makes a difference.

Want to do more with the KSA? Volunteer with our START Program, Peer Support or the KSA Street Team. Looking to do more as a student? Consider attending a committee meeting or running in election next Spring. Want to work for us? Check out our job postings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment